We didn’t start the fire… Frosty the Snowman did, and it is time to hold him and his magical top hat responsible.
SNOWMAN BURNING DAY!!!
First an apology. There have been problems at my building with my internet (and cable connection) and this has caused me to miss two blog posts. As an offering for missing Wyatt Earp‘s Birthday, let me entertain you with this haiku I have written. In case you did not know, a haiku is a three line Japanese poem that has 5 syllables in the first line, 7 in the second line, and 5 in the third line. I am sure there are other rules, but I am lazy and intend completely and blatantly ignore the rest of them.
Wyatt Earp you rock
The west was won by you
Let’s hang out some time
If you enjoyed that poem, buckle up because one of these days, I may go full English major on you and drop some iambic pentameter on this hood.
Alien Abduction Day
- If the proposal is supposed to be a surprise, you probably should not tag your prospective spouse in the Facebook status. “About to pop the big question – with Kate Beckinsale” Also, I would recommend not tagging yourself in at Jared’s on Foursquare. This things have a way of getting around.
- If you ask the father for his daughter’s hand in marriage, make sure you get her name right.
- If you do decide to do a proposal on the beach, make sure you time high tide correctly.
- While you can sometimes forget your wallet when going out on a date, this is probably not a good time to also forget the ring.
- Don’t mention the tax write off benefits as the first reason you want to get married. (Although if anyone is interested, it is a pretty nice write off)
National Meat Out Day
This is actually a holiday that tries to convince people to give up meat and switch to a lifestyle of purely vegetables, fruits, and grains. I tried to celebrate this holiday. For breakfast all I had was a blueberry donut, but by the time lunch came around, I accidentally ate chicken in my Chicken Alfredo frozen meal. How was I supposed to know it had chicken? I guess Meat Out Day was not for me this time. I will try again next year.
Won’t You Be My Neighbor
This holiday is to celebrate the one and only Mr. Rogers on the day of his birth. The website Fredrogers.org has a lot of pictures of great neighbor candidates but they also suggest many ways to celebrate this holiday.
- Smile – check
- Plant a tree – Bonsai tree check
- Say “Thank You” – Thanks for reading my blog today
- Sort and recycle glass, newspapers, plastic and cardboard – I would have sorted through them all but they are already conveniently stored in the trash can together for safe keeping.
- Give the gift of laughter: clip cartoons, share funny stories – See blog
- Offer to take the shopping cart back for someone loading his or her car – You may even be able to sneak a couple oreos out of their bags when they aren’t looking.
- Shop with reusable bags – I do not know why my neighbors care what type of bags I use but okay
- Make a donation to your favorite non-profit – The make sure I still eat dinner fund is my favorite non-profit for the day
- Save throw-aways (egg cartons, ribbons, etc.) for art projects – Now I have an excuse for why my apartment is always kind of messy #mEssyChef
- Share a hug – Any takers?
- Be a good friend by just listening – You are more than welcome to share in the comments. I will listen… whether I read them or not is another story.
- Reuse cardboard boxes to store toys and supplies – Where else would I keep my plastic army men collection?
- Volunteer at a senior center – Does working in HR count?
- Pay someone a compliment – You, yes you, look great today
- Visit your local library for story time, crafts, songs and games – Who knew playing solitaire in a public place could make me so many friends.
- Tracked water in to the house
- Had its eyes placed so that he constantly looked at your girlfriend funny
- Did not show up to your birthday party… in August… in Texas
- Left a ring around the bathtub
- Was not a jolly, happy soul
- Practiced witch craft. Think about it… a snowman’s arms would float as they are made of wood, I have never heard one say the Lord’s prayer, and if you have a dog nearby, it could have spots all over!
- He was screen looking the last time the two of you played Halo